MANGANESE (Gluconate) Antioxidant
Manganese plays a role in glucose metabolism. It is the principal antioxidant enzyme in the mitochondria, known as ‘cellular power plants’, that supply cellular energy, signaling, cellular differentiation, growth and cycles. Be- cause mitochondria utilize over 90% of the oxygen used by cells, they are particularly vulnerable to oxidative stress.
Symptoms and side-effects of manganese deficiency are:
- Impaired glucose metabolism
- Diseases of the skeletal structure, and impaired growth
- Pancreatic dysfunction
- Elevated blood pressure
- Reduced protein metabolism
- Reduced immune function
- Selenium deficiency
- Depressed activity of mammary glands in nursing mothers
- Mitochondrial abnormalities
- Hearing loss
- Weak tendons and ligaments
- Possible cause of diabetes. Medical studies indicate that manganese de ciency impairs glucose metabolism and reduced insulin production.